Transportation Master Plan
We are developing a Transportation Master Plan (TMP), in conjunction with consultants MMM Group, as part of our proactive approach to planning for growth and our vision of a well-connected community. The TMP will help us prepare for a future where residents, employees and visitors have viable transportation choices to travel in and around the town to get to work, school and play destinations.
The plan will will define an integrated network of walking, cycling, transit routes and streets that are safe and efficient for the movement of people and goods. This network will serve varying ages and abilities and will link to neighbouring municipalities and the greater surrounding region.
We encourage you to get involved! Provide your input at a public session and online, as noted below.
Complete a Survey
Share your feedback: Interactive survey and map (available until February 17, 2017)
Public Input Sessions
The first public input session took place on December 1, 2016. Stay tuned for a second public input session in the spring of 2017.
Vision for a Well-connected Community
- The Transportation Master Plan will plan for a future where residents, employees and visitors have viable transportation choices which allow them to travel in and around the Town.
- The transportation network will be designed for all modes of travel and all transportation users of varying ages and abilities.
- It will consist of an integrated network of walking and cycling facilities, transit routes and streets that are safe and efficient for the movement of people and goods.
- The network will link to transportation facilities in neighbouring jurisdictions and throughout the greater region.
The Transportation Master Plan will lay the groundwork for balanced investments in transportation to the year 2031 and beyond.
How We Get There
To realize the vision of a well-connected community, the Transportation Master Plan will:
- Develop a philosophy for the Town's long-term transportation and overall road network, to support future population projections and employment growth to the year 2031 and beyond;
- Provide a framework to help inform decisions regarding the Town's transportation system;
- Provide an overall direction for the Town to expand its transportation network in an efficient and effective manner;.
- Develop a road classification hierarchy that reflects the dynamic shift towards sustainable and alternate modes of transportation, and develop road cross sections to reflect any changes;
- Develop a transportation policy framework for the next Official Plan. This framework for will be developed in consultation with all interested parties;
- Provide input to the preparation of the next Secondary Plan Areas ("Phase 4 Lands"), including the required engineering input to develop the road network;
- Review and make recommendations on the Town's current road standards, design criteria and policies to ensure they meet the needs of all modes of transportation, while promoting the development of safe, efficient, livable and traffic calmed street networks;
- Investigate the need and justification for additional Highway 400 series overpasses, railway grade separations as well as mid-block flyovers;
- Investigate current and future deficiencies in roadway connectivity; and
- Meaningfully engage members of the public and interested stakeholders in a dialogue to help shape the outcomes of the Plan.