- Town Hall
The restoration of historic 16 Hugh Lane was completed in June 2010 with the assistance of the Government of Canada through the Community Adjustment Fund; the official opening celebration took place on December 10, 2010. The property contains a simple two-storey brick building that was built in 1886 for Edmund Booth (1829 - 1902), who was born in England.
Included in the restoration project was the replacement of the porch with simple entrance steps that reused the original stone steps and the addition of a new wrought iron railing. The existing historic windows and the front entrance door were refurbished and the storm windows were retained in the interest of energy efficiency. The amount and quality of light in the small commercial floor space were improved with modern lighting and large windows that were installed in the west-end addition. To maintain the heritage of the building, the historic roof form of the house was preserved.
The addition and alterations were carefully designed to protect the heritage attributes of this designated building. The new addition was designed to complement the design of the new Town Hall Expansion and to give a bold edge to the Mary Street parking lot that would contribute towards a more civic appearance in the immediate neighbourhood.