Demolition Permits

Is a permit required?

Demolition permits are required if you plan to demolish all or part of a building or structure larger than 10m2 (107ft2).  Farm Buildings are exempt from this provided the structure to be demolished is not subject to any other applicable law such as the Ontario Heritage Act. 

As a property owner, it is your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained prior to construction as per Section 8(1) of the Building Code Act.  Building without a permit is against the law and could result in you and/or your contractor being subject to fines or penalties as set out in the Building Code Act. 

How do I get started?

  1. Print and complete the Pre-Permit Clearances form by obtaining the authorization signatures listed on the form. 
  2. Complete and print the Permit to Construct or Demolish application.
    • Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish
    • The Form must be completed in full at the time of application. This includes the legal description (i.e. Lot/Con, Plan Number or other description) for Section A) Project Information.
    • All fees are required at the time of Permit Application submission in person at Town Hall.  Acceptable payment methods include, Cash, Debit or Cheque. Application forms submitted with missing information will not be accepted. Required information can be obtained from:
      • MPAC Assessment
      • Registered Deed of Property
      • Land Registry Office
      • Kiosk located in the lobby at the Town of Milton
  3. Create a Site Plan 
    • Property lines and lot area referenced to a current survey.
    • Locations of all existing buildings and structure(s) to be demolished (setbacks to property lines & distance to other buildings) must be outlined.
    • Overall dimensions (width/length) of structure(s) to be demolished.
    • Create 1 physical copy of the Site Plan or one digital copy.
      • Digital files must be in PDF format and generated directly from the software used to create them (AutoCAD, Softplan, Revit, etc.) using a PDF printer or converter (no scanned copies).
      • Digital PDF files must have the document properties/restrictions/security settings/permissions set to allow, “Printing” and “Adding Markups”.
      • Submit on CD, DVD, or USB flash drive in person at the time of building permit application.
  4. Bring copies of both completed forms and site plan documents, along with payments, to:

The Town of Milton Planning and Development counter
2nd floor of Town Hall
150 Mary Street
Milton ON, L9T 6Z5


Regulations for Demolitions 

  1. In accordance with Section 21(3) of Regulation 903 under the Ontario Water Resources Act, any well on a property that is not being used or maintained for future use must be abandoned. Therefore, the owner/agent is required to submit a record of well abandonment (issued by a licensed well contractor) to the Region of Halton Health Department to verify the decommissioning of the well(s) on the property.
  2. The contractor shall make every effort to minimize the amount of dust generated during demolition. A method of dust control can be, but is not limited to, wetting- down the construction debris during the actual demolition. Dust complaints are regulated under the Town of Milton Property Standards By-law No. 131-2012 (20.13.)
  3. In accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) before beginning a demolition, the owner shall determine whether any designated substances are present at the project site and shall have a report prepared of all designated substances (DSR) that are present at the site. The requirement for a DSR is regulated by the Ministry of Labour (MOL). Failing to provide a DSR to a MOL officer may result in the stoppage of work.
  4. All windows shall be broken INWARDS prior to the start of the demolition.
  5. Hours of work are regulated by the Town of Milton’s Noise By-law. This would include the noise generated by construction equipment, the delivery of materials and/or idling trucks.
  6. It is the responsibility of the property owner and/or person to whom a permit is issued to maintain a safe construction site. This may include, but is not limited to requiring and maintaining the installation of a fence to prevent unwanted access to the construction site.

*Note: OBC The applicant for a permit requesting the demolition of a building shall retain a professional engineer to undertake the general review of the project during demotion, where:

The building exceed three (3) storeys in building height or 600m2 (6460 sq. ft.) in building area;
The building structure includes pre-tensioned or post-tensioned members;
It is proposed that the demolition will extend below the level of the footings of any adjacent building and occur within the angle of repose of the soil, drawn from the bottom of such footings; or
Explosives or a laser are to be used during the course of demolition.
Owner/applicant is responsible to provide a designated substance report where required in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the demolition does not adversely affect adjacent lands or structures, and to take all necessary precautionary measures to assure the safety of workers and the general public.

Gas Service or Other Site Where Fuel Tank Exists 

Fuel Safety Branch must be notified in writing, with a copy submitted to Building Services, as part of the Demolition Application.

Ministry of Consumer & Commercial Relations,
Fuel Safety Branch,
3300 Bloor Street West,
Etobicoke, ON M8X 2X4

Demolition Permit Fees