House numbering

The Town of Milton assigns a municipal address when a new construction application is submitted or when a new lot has been created. Canada Post assigns postal codes. For houses on corner lots, the address is determined by the street where the driveway is accessed. 

To receive regular house numbering updates, subscribe to the Town’s Municipal Addressing Updates e-newsletter.

New homes in urban areas

If you have purchased a new home and want to know what your address will be, we recommend that you contact your builder. The builder is also responsible for putting up the house number.

Green municipal address signs for rural areas

Homeowners in rural areas are responsible for purchasing, putting up and maintaining green address signs in accordance with By-law #026-2010. Signs can be purchased from any sign company that meets the green municipal address sign standards.

These signs are mandatory at the entrance to your property so that emergency vehicles can clearly see your address.

To find out whether a property is located in the urban or rural area boundary, contact the Planning and Development Department at 905-878-7252, ext. 2398. Please have your assessment roll number or PIN number and street name ready when you call.

Requesting a municipal address change

Property owners must fill out the Address Change Application Form and submit it to GIS Mapping staff. If the application is approved, a Municipal House Number Change fee is required to officially change the address. 

There is no guarantee that an address can be changed. They are created using a pre-determined sequence and pattern to ensure that there aren't any duplicate addresses and that all addresses meet emergency services requirements.