House Numbering

The Planning and Development Department assigns all municipal addresses for homes and businesses.

Assignment of House Number

  • In the case of new construction or new lot creation, the address is assigned at the time a building permit application is submitted.
  • For houses with corner lots, the address is determined by the street where the driveway is accessed.

Addresses for New Homes in Urban Areas 

If you bought a new home and want to know what your address will be, we recommend that you contact your builder. If you wish to contact the Town of Milton for your house address you may contact the Planning and Development Department at 905-878-7252 ext 2398. Please have your lot number and street name ready when you call.

The builder is responsible for erecting the house number.

Green Municipal Address Signs for Rural Areas

If you live in a rural area, as the homeowner, you are responsible for erecting your own sign.  Green house number signs are mandatory at the entrance to your property so emergency vehicles can clearly identify your address from the street. The Town's policy is as follows:

  • All properties outside the urban area, as defined in the Town's Official Plan, require a green municipal address sign adjacent to the property line at the driveway.
  • The owner of the property must pay for and install the sign according to By-law #2026-2010.
  • The owner of the house is responsible for the maintenance and/or replacement of the sign in case it is damaged.
  • Final inspection approval will not be granted to a rural building, under construction, until the municipal address number has been properly erected.

Green municipal address signs can be purchased from any sign company as long as they meet the standard for placement of municipal house numbering sign. The cost is approximately $20-25. Poles and clamps are also available to purchase at an additional cost.

Approved rural house number signs can be purchased at the following location:

FL Signs
1144 Steeles Avenue West
Hornby, ON L0P 1E0
Phone: 905-878-8549
Fax: 905-878-8887

For clarification of urban vs. rural area boundaries, please contact the Planning and Development Department using the contact information on the left side of this page.

Town staff will inspect all properties to ensure the house number is visible according to Town standards.

Postal Codes

The Town of Milton does not assign postal codes for new homes. To find out your new postal code, contact Canada Post.

Stay Up to Date