Days Before Election


Candidate Information 

Play a leadership role and contribute to the community’s vision, strategic direction and values. Facilitate effective communication between Council and the community. Make a difference in the quality of life of Milton residents. 

Certified List of Candidates/Ward Maps  


Qualifications and Nomination

The nomination period for the 2018 Municipal Election opened on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 and closed on Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 pm.

After decision from LPAT, the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) added a second Trustee position for the Town of Milton. Now there are two HCDSB Trustees town wide. 


A person may be nominated for office only if, as of the day the individual files a nomination paper, he or she is: 

  • 18 years of age or older; and
  • A Canadian citizen; and
  • A resident of the Town of Milton OR an owner or tenant of land in the Town of Milton OR the spouse of such a person; and
  • Eligible to vote


Starting May 1, the Town of Milton accepted nominations for the Municipal Election for the offices of Mayor, Regional and Town Councillors, Halton District School Board Trustee and the Halton Catholic District School Board Trustee.

Nominations are filed in person by the candidate or by their agent. They cannot be mailed, emailed or faxed. Only originals of identification are accepted - copied identification will not be accepted.  The following pieces of identification are required:

  • Two pieces of identification (showing your name, qualifying address and signature)
  • Filing fee: $200 for Mayor candidates, $100 for Trustee,  Regional and Town Councillors (cash, certified cheque, money order or debit card).

Candidates are encouraged to contact the Town Clerk’s Office to book appointments to file their nomination paper:

  • Appointments are available Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 3:45 pm. 
  • It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the nomination filing process. 
  • Candidates who arrive at Town Hall to file their nomination paper without an appointment may need to wait if another nomination appointment is underway. 

Town Clerk’s office has moved: Nominations are accepted at the Community Services counter in the main lobby of Town Hall.


Guidelines and Resources

Cogeco - YourTV Channel 700

YourTV Channel 700 is offering Mayoral, Regional and Town Councillor candidates the opportunity to record a maximum of three minutes of free airtime to address potential constituents ahead of the upcoming Municipal Election. 

For more information, or to register to participate in this initiative, please contact the producer Chris Cox by email or by phone at 289-891-6777 x 8303. Production will begin in September.

Election Training

Candidate Guidelines and Resources

Trustee Guidelines and Resources

Find out what school trustees do, how to become a trustee, and much more.

Submit your profile. Don’t forget to include your name, school board and ward.  You may also include a photo, a brief biography, email address and website address.

Additional resources:



Election Signs

New this year - all candidates and third-party advertisers must apply for an Election Sign Permit and pay the required fee.

Election Sign By-law 

Election Sign Q & A

The information below has been prepared by the Municipal Elections Office for information purposes only.  It is not an official version of the Election Sign By-law 011-2018, as amended.  Please refer to the by-law for specific wording.

Who is responsible for an election sign?  (s.8.4)
The registered third parties or candidates are responsible for their own signs and shall ensure that all the requirements of the by-law are met.
Who can erect an election sign?  (s. 3.2)
To erect an election sign, you must be registered as a candidate or third party with the Town of Milton.
When can I post an election sign?  (s. 6.1) (s. 6.2) (s. 6.3) (s. 6.4) (s. 7.9)

Municipal election signs (this includes third party signs) cannot be posted before September 7, 2018 (45 days prior to voting day). 

Election signs may be posted on a candidate’s campaign office once the candidate has filed their nomination paper with the Town Clerk (earliest date – May 1).  Campaign offices do not have to be located within the ward the candidate is running in.

All election signs must be removed by October 25, 2018. 

Provincial and Federal candidate election signs cannot be posted earlier than the day the writ of election is issued.

Where can I place my election signs?  (s. 4) (s.7.1) (s. 7.2) (s. 7.3) (s.7.6) (s.7.7) (s. 7.8) (s. 7.9) (Halton Region By-law 36-01 s. 3.1)

Do place a sign

  • On a lawn with the owner’s permission.
  • On minor arterial, multi-purpose arterial and collector roads.  Eligible roads are illustrated in this Urban Area Map.
  • Within the ward(s) a candidate is running in - with the exception of a campaign office.
  • Affixed to a motor vehicle, if it has a valid Ontario license plate affixed to it; and it isn’t parked at a voting place on any day when electors are voting.

Do Not place a sign

  • Within the Regional Right of way
  • On public property
  • In a park
  • On a median or island
  • Less than 3 metres from a school crossing
  • On a trailer
  • On a utility pole
  • On a tree, fence or gate located on public property.  
  • In any place that blocks traffic sightlines or obstructs any traffic control device or signal. 
  • Within 10 metres of any other election sign of the same candidate in the urban area.
  • Within 50 metres of any other election sign of the same candidate outside the urban area. 
  • On any premises used as a voting location.  The entire property, including the road allowance abutting it, is considered to be a voting location.
Can I use the Town’s logo or other wordmarks?  (s. 7.10)

No. You may not use the Town’s logo or municipal election wordmark in whole or in part on any election sign or material.

Will the Town contact me prior to the removal of illegal election signs?  (s. 8.1) (s. 8.2) (s. 8.3)

No.  There will not be any prior notice given for any illegal sign removed by the Town.  Furthermore, candidates whose signs have been removed will not be notified that their election sign has been removed, and they will not be given the opportunity to retrieve it. 

All illegal election signs that are removed by the Town will be destroyed without notice or compensation to any party. 

Candidates may be charged $79 for each illegal sign removed by the Town.  Extreme violations or repeat offenders may be charged $300 per sign. 

Is there an election sign fee?  (s. 3.2)

Yes there are election sign fees.


  • $300 for Mayor, Regional Chair, Provincial and Federal candidates or third parties advertising on their behalf.
  • $150 for all other offices including school trustee candidates or third parties advertising on their behalf.


Election sign fees are refundable for Municipal, Provincial and Federal candidates only if the candidate:

  1. Removes their signs within 72 hours; and
  2. Has no outstanding fines resulting from violations from the Election Sign By-law

Third party sign fees are not refundable.

Are there any size restrictions on election signs? (s.3.3) (s. 4.2)

Yes there are restrictions.  Not including billboard signs and signs on vehicles, no election sign shall:

  1. Be illuminated
  2. Have a sign area greater than 3 square metres (32 square feet)
  3. Have a sign height greater than 2.13 metres (7 feet) 

No election sign may interfere with the safe movement of any vehicle or pedestrian traffic or placed where it is a general hazard to public safety. 

Third Party Advertisers

A third party advertiser: is any individual, trade union or corporation that places an election-related advertisement to be seen by the public. A third party advertiser must register at the Town of Milton with the Town Clerk.  The last day to register is October 19, 2018.

A third party advertisement: is a message in any media (newspaper, billboard, radio, etc.) that is for or against a candidate running in the municipal election. Third party advertising does not include issue-based advertising, allowing advocacy groups to continue their work during the campaign period. Advertising that does not require payment, such as social media, is allowed during the election. 

Resources for third party advertisements

Webinars on third party advertising

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs is offering webinars focused on the rules pertaining to third party advertisers for the 2018 municipal election.

Session 1:

Friday, April 13, 2018 2:00 – 4:00 pm

Session 2:

Monday, April 23, 2018 6:00 – 8:00 pm

Teleconference Line: (416) 212-8014 (Local) 1-866-500-5845 (Toll-Free) Conference ID: 7421740

Join webinar

How to connect

Each webinar will accommodate a maximum of 100 participants. There will be no pre-registration required; gain access on a first-come-first-served basis by simply clicking on the links provided.

Please follow the steps listed below to access any of the webinars:

Step 1: Join Adobe Connect (to see the presentation)

  1. From your electronic device, click one of the links above that corresponds to the webinar you would like to join.
  2. When Adobe Connect opens in your internet browser, choose the “Enter as a Guest” option and enter your first and last name.
  3. Click “Enter Room.”
  4. If the screen says Click to run Adobe Flash Player, right click and select Run this plug-in.
  5. For first-time users of Adobe Connect, the browser will prompt you to install the Adobe add-in. Click “Install Add-in.”

Connectivity Tips:

  • Try using Google Chrome or Firefox, instead of Internet Explorer
  • Using Wi-Fi is recommended, if connecting with a smart device
  • If trying to connect with a smart device, other than a computer, try to ensure you have the latest operating system installed

Step 2: Join teleconference (Audio is only available through teleconference; one needs to call to hear the presentation.)

  1. From your phone, dial (416) 212-8013 (local) or 1-866-633-1033 (toll-free).
  2. Follow the system prompts and enter the conference ID: 7421740, when requested

Preparation if you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting

We recommend you do the following ahead of attending a webinar session:

Contacts for assistance

(416) 585-6226 (Local) 1-800-668-0230 (Toll-Free)

Eligibility and registration

To register as a third party, you must be: 

  • A corporation that operates a business in Ontario
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario
  • An individual who is normally a resident of Ontario

You are not able to register if you are: 

  • A candidate whose nomination has been filed under the Municipal Elections Act of 1996
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any Federal constituency association or a federal candidate that has been endorsed by that party
  • A provincial party constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant, registered under the Election Finances Act
  • The Crown in right of Ontario and Canada, another municipality, or a local board


Register at Town Hall (Clerk's Division), 150 Mary Street.

What are the requirements for third party advertisers?

Contributions and finances

Corporations, individuals and trade unions are permitted to make contributions as a third party advertiser and are also permitted to make contributions to other third party advertisers. When a third party registers with a municipality, they are allowed to support or oppose any type of candidate, such as Mayor, Councillor, or Trustee.  Third party advertising must be done independently from the candidate, and the candidate cannot dictate what the third party does during the campaign. Third parties are allowed to advocate for a candidate in multiple municipalities, as long as they register with that specific town/city.

Campaign finance rules regarding third parties are similar to rules for candidates:

  • Third party advertisers have spending limits and contribution limits from other donors.
  • A maximum contribution from an individual is $1,200 and $5,000 from two or more registered third party advertisers in a municipality. Trade unions and corporations are allowed to make contributions to third party advertisers, but cannot make contributions to candidates.
  • Preliminary maximum spending limit is $7893.85  . A final maximum spending limit will be published late September. 

Requirements for information provided in advertisements

It is mandatory for third parties to provide specific information on all forms of advertising, beginning May 1, 2018:

  • Municipality where third party is registered; registration can be done through Town Hall (Clerk’s Division).
  • Name of the third party

E-mail address or business address and a telephone number where the registered third party can be reached

Where can I obtain a list of third party advertisers?

Registration for third party advertisers starts May 1, 2018 and ends October 19, 2018.

A list of registered third parties will be available shortly.


Once the election results have been finalized, the previous Council will remain until the new Council is sworn in at the Inaugural Council Meeting on December 3, 2018.


Financial filings form