Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses are valid for ceremonies anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date issued.

  1. In Ontario, both parties to the marriage must complete a provincial Marriage License Application Form.

    Apply Online  Apply Online

  2. Contact the Clerk's Division to book an appointment. Contact information is on the left side of this page. Appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Appointments are available Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Same day service may be provided for an additional fee if the authorized staff person is available. Please note: the Town experiences high volumes of requests for appointments. Couples are encouraged to book appointments well in advance of their marriage date to ensure they will receive an appointment.
  3. Two pieces of identification are required for each person. Please note that all documents must be valid originals and identification documents in another language must be supported by a certified translation.
    • Both applicants must provide one of the following:
      • Birth certificate or
      • Record of Immigrant Landing or
      • Canadian Citizenship Card
    • Both applicants must also provide a piece of photo identification which may include:
      • Drivers' License or
      • Passport
  4. Marriage License fee of $182.00 (cash, debit or money order only)

Out of Province or Out of Country Marriages

If you and your partner have made a declaration that you take each other as husband and wife in the presence of a witness (regardless of whether the person is authorized to solemnize a marriage or not), you may already be married and you may not be eligible to obtain a marriage license. In such a case the parties must contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 or 416-325-8305 (GTA area). 


Canadian Divorce

  • If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted; the Divorce Order is not acceptable.
  • Certified copies may be obtained from the courthouse that granted the divorce.
  • Photocopies are not acceptable; all documents will be returned.

NOTE: Divorce documents must have a court seal on the document face in order for a marriage license to be granted.

Foreign Divorce

If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156. 

Marriage Ceremony

  • It is your responsibility to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice.
  • If you are in need of a person to perform a civil ceremony, check or view the
    province-wide listing of the religious officials authorized to solemnize marriages under the Marriage Act.


Applicants under the age of 18 years old require parental consent; contact the Town Clerk's Division for further details. Contact information is on the left side of this page.


Applicants who do not read or understand spoken English must provide their own interpreter. The interpreter must provide identification. 


There are no residency or citizenship requirements.