Effective May 13, 2021, Ontario extended the Stay-at-Home order until June 2, 2021. Find out what's open and the status of Town of Milton services.

Building services

Building permits

New permit applications, including any additional forms, can be submitted online in PDF format. Applicants will receive an email notifying them of their application’s acceptance or outlining the reasons why the application was not accepted. If accepted, an invoice will be attached to the email, outlining the calculated building permits fees. Prior to permit issuance, fees are payable by cheque to Town of Milton. 

Building Permits 

Building inspections

Inspections will be conducted independently by the Town’s building officials. Building officials will use their best judgment to evaluate any potential concerns. Building officials will wear a non-medical mask during the visit and disposable gloves if required to interact with high-touch surfaces. A minimum physical distance of two metres must by maintained between inspectors and site superintendents, contractors and occupants. 

If you have any questions about building inspections during this time, please contact the Manager, Building Inspections.

For occupied projects (renovations, basement finishes, secondary suites, etc.), the occupant/contractor must:

  • Answer screening questions
  • Provide clear access through a separate entry, where possible
  • Turn off furnace/mechanical system one hour prior to arrival
  • Open windows to allow fresh air circulation one hour prior to arrival
  • Open all doors, access panels and cupboards and ensure all lights are on
  • Maintain a physical distance of two metres from the Building Official at all times

Building Inspections 

Committee of Adjustment and Consent meetings

The Town of Milton is resuming its Committee of Adjustment and Consent (COA) meetings virtually to provide applicants and members of the public with an accessible, contactless application process. COA meetings are livestreamed on the Town of Milton’s YouTube page. A full Committee of Adjustment and Consent schedule is available on the Town’s calendar.

To participate in Committee of Adjustment and Consent meetings, follow the delegation process.

Council meetings

Council meetings are being conducted virtually until further notice. 

Development applications

Our Development Review team is continuing to process applications. If you have any questions, reach out to the Planner assigned to your file and all general inquiries can be directed to Development Services. The Development Services counter at Town Hall is open for development application drop-off and pick-up, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Please schedule an appointment for general in-person inquiries.

Pre-consultation meetings

Regularly scheduled pre-consultation meetings are being held via teleconference or video conference. Please contact the Town’s Planning Administrator to schedule a meeting. You must provide a description of your proposal, along with concept plans, two weeks prior to the meeting so that it can be circulated to internal and external agencies for review and comment.

Electronic submissions

We’re currently accepting electronic application submissions for Zoning By-law amendments, Official Plan amendments, draft plans of subdivision, draft plans of condominium, minor variances, consents, site plan approvals and exemptions from part lot control. Please ensure that submissions are complete and include all required information as identified in your formal pre-consultation form, including the signed copy of your pre-consultation form. If paper files are to be dropped off, contact the Town’s Planning Administrator to make arrangements.

Submission process:

  1. Email the Town’s Planning Administrator to inform us that you intend to submit an application and/or resubmission.
  2. Our Planning Administrator will send you a link to upload all of your files.
  3. All electronic files, including application forms, reports and drawings must be:
  • In PDF format (PDF version of the original document, not a photocopy of a PDF)
  • AODA compliant
  • Uncompressed (no zipped files, no folders and writable)
  • Labelled correctly (Planning Justification Report, Transportation Impact Study, Draft Plan of Subdivision, etc.)
  • Once received, our Planning Administrator will confirm receipt of upload and provide you with information regarding payment of fees.

Fee payments

Payments can continue to be made by cheque and can be deposited in the Town’s drop box, located at the King Street entrance of Town Hall, in an envelope addressed to our Planning Administrator, with the development application referenced.  Please contact the Town’s Planning Administrator who can provide direction on how to make a payment and can make the appropriate arrangements.

Please note that the Town will not process any development applications without the applicable review fees. Any Region of Halton or Conservation Halton fees applicable with your application must now be paid directly to the Region or Conservation Authority, and confirmation that the applicable fees have been paid is required prior to the processing of any applications. 

Marriage licenses

Soon-to-be newlyweds can contact Corporate Reception to book in-person appointments at Town Hall. To book an appointment call 905-878-7252 ext. 0, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 


Regular parking enforcement is in effect. If you received a parking ticket, you can pay online or in-person at Town Hall in-person by appointment only. To book an appointment call 905-878-7252 ext. 0, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 

You can apply for a temporary street parking exception if you or a guest needs to park on the street for more than five hours or overnight between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. 

Property tax payments 

Property tax payments can be made online through third party institutions or in-person at Town Hall by appointment only. To book an appointment call 905-878-7252 ext. 0, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 

Property tax relief deferral program

Property owners can apply for a one-time COVID-19 pre-authorized monthly repayment plan. The plan consists of up to 10 monthly withdrawals beginning as early as March 15, 2021 through to a final withdrawal date no later than Dec. 15, 2021. 

Apply Now 

Recreation and facilities

All Town of Milton indoor recreation facilities are closed to the public and in-person recreational programming is paused under the province-wide shutdown and Stay-at-Home order. Some outdoor recreational amenities are open following public health guidelines.

  • Open and closed amenities 
  • Virtual programming 
  • Refunds
    • If you have a membership, it will be paused and no payments will be charged while recreational facilities are closed
    • If you would like to cancel your membership, you can do so at any time without penalty
    • Remaining balances on your account will be refunded

Please email us if you wish to cancel your membership or if you have any questions surrounding your account.

Town Hall 

To support the efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Town Hall will close for walk-in service effective April 14, 2021, through the Stay-at-Home order. The Town will continue to serve residents and businesses through appointment only, online or by phone. 

For more information about in-person services, visit the Town Hall COVID-19 web page.


Milton Transit service is operating as usual with enhanced safety measures in place. Passengers are required to use face coverings (e.g. non-medical masks) while onboard and to limit travel for essential purposes only.

Transit tickets and passes can be purchased in-person at Town Hall by appointment only. To book an appointment call 905-878-7252 ext. 0, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Eligible SPLIT program customers may also purchase tickets and passes at Town Hall by appointment. 

Customers may also purchase tickets and passes through the mobile app or use exact cash for payment.

Dog licences

Purchase and renew your dog licence using DocuPet. This online platform will help you register your dog with the Town of Milton. Follow the online or over the phone instructions. You can even set up an automatic yearly licence renewal.