Public service announcement 

Ontario’s annual Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from Nov. 1-7. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices.

Fuel burning appliances can include:

  • Furnaces
  • Hot water heaters
  • Gas or wood fireplaces
  • Portable fuel-burning heaters or generators
  • Barbeques
  • Stoves
  • Vehicles

Prevent CO in your home

  • Annually inspect fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents
  • Ensure outside appliance vents are not blocked
  • Only use gas and charcoal barbeques outside
  • Install working CO alarms adjacent to each sleeping area
  • Check that all portable fuel-burning heaters are vented properly
  • Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor inside a garage, even if the garage doors are open
  • Remove the vehicle from the garage immediately after starting it
  • If you live in a condo or apartment building with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area above, below and beside the service room
  • In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the garage

Know the sound of your CO alarm

The sound of a CO alarm differs from a smoke alarm.

  • Test both alarms monthly and make sure everyone in your home knows the difference between the two sounds.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions so you know the difference between the low-battery warning, the “end-of-life” warning, and the alarm alerting you to the presence of CO in your home.

Know the symptoms of CO

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.

  • If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately. Once safely outside, call 9-1-1.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, and no one is suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning, check to see if the battery needs replacing, or the alarm has reached its end-of-life before calling 9-1-1.

For more CO safety tips, visit the Milton Fire Department's website and COsafety.ca.

-30-

For media inquiries, please contact:

Jessica Rabaey
Communications Advisor
289-971-0791
Email Communications Staff