Have questions as a voter, candidate or third party advertiser? Check out our FAQs below!

Voter FAQs

When is the municipal election?

Voting Day is Monday, Oct. 24, 2022. Polling stations are open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. 

Who can vote?

To vote in the upcoming municipal election, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Live in Milton (own or rent)
    • Not live in Milton, but you or your spouse own or rent property in town

How do I know if I am on the voters’ list?

You can check to see if you are on the Voters’ List by going to voterlookup.ca.  

How do I add my name or amend my personal information on the voters’ list?

The elector may check to see if they are on the voters’ list by going to voterlookup.ca.

If you are not on the list, or would like to amend your information, you can update your information until July 22. 

Beginning Sept. 1 until Oct. 24, 2022, you can make an application to the Town Clerk to have their name added or removed from the voters’ list.

When should I receive a voter identification card?

Persons registered as electors in the Town of Milton should receive their Voter Identification Card in the mail during the first week of October.  

If I forget to bring the voter identification card on voting day, can I still vote? 

Yes, if you do not have identification, and your name is on the voters’ list, you can complete a statutory declaration swearing that you are the person shown on the list. If your name is not on the voters’ list, you may will be required to show identification in order to have your name put on the list on voting day.

Where do I vote on the day of the election?

Each eligible elector will receive a voter notification card which will identify how you may vote – either through the mail or in-person at a polling station in the ward where you reside.

You can use our interactive ward map to find out what ward you live in. All you need to do is type your address into the search bar.

What ID is required when voting in person?

When you arrive to vote in person you must show identification to prove that you are the person whose name appears on the voters’ list. The identification must show your name and address. Photo identification is not required. Examples of identification include:

  • Ontario driver’s licence
  • Ontario health card (if your name and address are printed on the card)
  • Mortgage, lease or rental agreement
  • Insurance policy from 2022

You can also complete a sworn, written Declaration of Identity at a voting location.

If you are not on the Municipal Voters’ List, you must bring:

  • Photo ID (i.e. valid driver’s licence); and
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (i.e. passport, citizenship card, or birth certificate); and
  • Proof of Milton residency (i.e. tax bill, credit card statement or utility bill); or
  • Proof of non-residency eligibility
Note: Without this documentation, you will be unable to get a ballot. 

If I don’t have identification at the voting location, can someone vouch for me? 

No, vouching is not permitted in municipal and school board elections. 

What if I am not in Milton on Voting Day?

The Town of Milton is offering a variety of different voting options for the election:

  • Vote by mail: Sept. 26 to Oct. 11, 2022
  • Advance voting opportunities: Oct. 10 to Oct. 16, 2022

Find out where your designated advanced polling location is to plan ahead. 

How does the vote by mail option work?

Eligible voters may request a vote-by-mail package that includes instructions, a voter declaration card, a ballot, secrecy envelope, and a postage pre-paid return envelope. The voter completes the declaration confirming they are eligible to vote and are casting their own ballot. Once returned via mail to Town Hall, the voter’s name is crossed off the voters’ list, and the secrecy envelope containing the ballot is placed in a secure ballot box until Voting Day (Oct. 24, 2022).

Once the ballot has been cast, it is no longer associated with the voter. Votes are counted using electronic tabulators once voting is closed.

Can someone else vote on my behalf? 

If you are unable to personally cast your ballot during any of the advance voting dates, or on Election Day, you can use the vote by mail option. 

I am a student living away from home, where do I vote? 

If you are a student and consider your “home” to be the place where you live when you are not attending school (that is, you plan on returning there), then you are eligible to vote in both your “home” municipality and in the municipality where you live while attending school.

Can I vote more than once if I own multiple properties in Milton?

No. You may only vote once in a municipal election and you must vote in the ward where you live.

Can I vote in more than one municipality if I own multiple properties in different municipalities?

Yes. You may vote in any municipality where you are the owner, tenant or spouse of an owner or tenant of land in that municipality - but only once per municipality.

Candidate and third party advertiser FAQs

When can candidates start campaigning and advertising?

The nomination period for the municipal election begins May 2. Once a candidate files their nomination form, they can begin campaigning and advertising.  

When can candidates and third party advertisers begin to put up lawn signs?

Candidates and third party advertisers can put up their campaign signs starting Sept. 9, 2022

When do candidates and third party advertisers need to remove their lawn signs?

Candidates and third party advertisers must remove all lawn signs by 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 27, 2022.

Who can be a third party advertiser? 

Individuals, corporations and trade unions can register as third party advertisers.

If I am a third party advertiser, do I need to register?

Yes, all third party advertisers are required to register with every municipality where they wish to advertise in.

Where can I get election results? 

As soon as possible after the close of voting on Oct. 24, 2022, the unofficial results will be posted on the Town’s website. The official results will be posted within the next two days.

Now that I have filed my nomination for office with the Town Clerk’s Office, are the documents that I have submitted public records and available for viewing by the public? 

At the time of nomination submission, all candidates and third party advertisers complete a form to authorize the Town to post specified contact information on the Town’s website. 

Section 88 (5) states that “despite anything in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, documents and materials filed with or prepared by the clerk or any other election official under this Act are public records and, until their destruction, may be inspected by any person at the clerk’s office at a time when the office is open.”

As such, documents and materials related to nominations may be inspected by any person at the clerk’s office Town Hall when the office is open (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Is a candidate permitted to campaign on Town property or at a Town facility?

No. Town facilities and Town property are corporate resources are not to be used for any election-related purposes. 

If Town staff observe or are advised of this activity occurring, they will advise the candidate or person acting on behalf of the candidate/campaign that this is not permitted.