You can register as a third party advertiser from May 2 to Oct. 21, 2022.

Information for third party advertisers  

A third party advertisement is any broadcast, print or digital ad that supports or opposes a specific candidate, or a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot. These types of ads are paid for by a third party group, not the candidates themselves.

Any eligible individual, corporation or trade union that intends to spend money on advertising must register as a third party advertiser.

Check out the 2022 Third Party Advertisers' Guide

Eligible third party advertisers

You are eligible to register as a third party advertiser if you are:

  • An individual resident of Ontario
  • A corporation carrying on business in Ontario
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario 

Ineligible third party advertisers  

You are not eligible to register as a third party advertiser if you are:

  • A candidate in the municipal or provincial election
  • A group, association or business that is not a corporation
  • A federal or provincial political party
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board

For more information, review the Ministry of Municipal Affairs’ Guide for Third Party Advertisers.

To request information in an alternative format, please fill out the request for Alternate Formats form. You can also make a request by email or call us at 905-878-7252 ext. 2109.


If you are registering on behalf of a corporation, you must provide:

  • Proof that the corporation operates in Ontario and that you are the director. This could include a corporate search or incorporating documents.
  • A piece of government-issued identification

If the corporation has more than one director, provide a resolution from the board authorizing you to act as the corporation’s representative.

If the same people or person own or control multiple corporations, or if one corporation controls another, only one corporation can register as a third party advertiser.


If you’re registering as an individual, you must provide a piece of identification that proves your identity and that you live in Ontario.

There is no restriction against family members or campaign staff of candidates registering to be third party advertisers. However, third party advertising must be done independently of the candidate.

Trade unions

If you are registering on behalf of a trade union, you must provide:

  • Proof union exists
  • Proof you have been appointed to act on the trade union’s behalf

Registration process

You or a representative from your corporation will need to complete a Notice of Registration form and submit it and all required documents to the Town Clerk’s Office.

More information about the registration process for third party advertisers will be available in 2022.