Property Claims

This information is intended as an informal guide to help you with the claims process. This is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have questions of a legal nature you should consult with a lawyer. The Town of Milton accepts no liability arising from the information published here.

Making a Claim Find out how to make a claim for property damage.
Livestock Claims The Clerk's Office at the Town of Milton handles claims for damages under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.
Sewer and Water Damage Claims Find out what to do if there is a sewer and water


 Frequently Asked Questions


How do I report damage to my property?

  1. Report the incident to your insurance company. Your insurance company will assess the damages and make necessary arrangements to commence the clean-up and repair of damaged property.
  2. Make a list of all of the items/areas affected; if possible take photographs.
  3. Your insurance company should pay for damages and, if applicable, will contact the Town for recovery.

If your insurance does not cover your damages, see Making a Claim.

We suggest that in all cases of damage you contact your insurance company or broker. Depending on the type of property damage, and the insurance policy you purchased, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the Town or other party.

What if I think the property damage is the Town's fault? 

If your insurance company pays for your property damage it will attempt to recover money from anyone they think was responsible for the damages. Typically, insurers try to recover the amount of the claim that they paid as well as your deductible. If you want to make a claim directly against the Town see Making a Claim. Based on the findings of its investigation, compensation will be provided if the Town is legally liable for the property damage. 

My property has been damaged as a result of Town construction activity. What should I do? 

If you have damage to your property because of Town construction:

  • Write down the details of when and how the damage occurred; include the date, time and location. If possible, identify the company, equipment or event that caused the damage.
  • Contact your insurance company.
  • If possible, document your damages with photographs, original invoices and bills of sale. Keep any damaged property available for inspections at a later date.
  • If you wish to make a claim to the Town for property damage see Making a Claim or contact us using the information at the left side of this page. Each claim will be examined individually and judged on its own merits. 

My vehicle was damaged in a pothole. What should I do?

Claims for damage to a vehicle as a result of driving over a pothole are not generally reimbursable. Periods of precipitation and subsequent thawing and freezing do contribute to the development of potholes, particularly at intersections and in low-lying areas where water frequently stands. The Town of Milton operates an aggressive pothole response program. Drivers should be aware of the potential for potholes, the presence of Town repair crews on busy streets and slow down to prevent accidents.

If you have damaged your vehicle because of a pothole:

  1. See a licensed motor vehicle mechanic
  2. Do not continue to drive your vehicle if it is not operating properly.
  3. Notify the Town of Milton - Engineering Services of the exact location of the pothole.  Call 905-878-7252 ext 2500.
  4. If you believe the damage will exceed your deductible contact your insurance agent for assistance. 

Who can I tell about potholes or other road hazards I see?

Call the Town of Milton Engineering Services at 905-878-7252 ext 2500.  Please give the exact location of the hazard will be recorded and an inspection arranged so appropriate action is taken.

I have damaged my car on a road that was under construction/has not yet been assumed by the Town. What do I do?

See a licensed motor vehicle mechanic and contact your insurance company as you may have coverage for this type of loss. Using the above claim form, you may submit your claim to the Purchasing and Risk Services Department.
If you incurred damages as a result of a construction project, the contractor will have a contract with the Town that contains an indemnity clause that would extend to all claims, loss, costs and damages in connection with this contract by the successful bidder. This means that the contractor must look after the claims against the Town for damage they allegedly caused. To assist in processing your claim, the Town will identify the contractor as well as forward your claim to the contractor on your behalf.

If the loss has occurred in a subdivision not yet assumed by the Town where the developer is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the area, the Town will identify the developer and forward your claim to the developer on your behalf.

It is your responsibility to communicate directly with the contractor or developer with respect to your claim.