Livestock Claims

The Town Clerk's Division handles claims for damages under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

On July 1, 2011, the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs announced the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program which modernizes the
30-year-old Livestock, Poultry and Honey Bee Protection Act, which governs wildlife damage compensation.

Through the new Wildlife Damage Compensation Program, livestock producers will receive improved compensation when their livestock or poultry are injured or killed by predatory wildlife or when bee colonies, beehives or beehive equipment are damaged by wildlife. 

The new program expands the current list of wildlife species and variety of livestock that farmers can be compensated for, and increases the maximum compensation rates for farmers.

Claims for Compensation 

  • Any claims for damages under this Act should be promptly directed to the attention of the Clerk's Office. Contact information is on the left side of this page.
  • All claims for compensation under the Act are subject to the Livestock Valuer's inspection and report.
  • For immediate attendance and inspection by the Livestock Valuer of any livestock/poultry kills and/or injuries, contact the Clerks Division at 905-878-7252 ext. 2137.

Farm Animals 

Domestic farm animals are not permitted to run at large or trespass on any highway or on public or private land.

Any domestic farm animal(s) found to be trespassing or running at large may be impounded. The person or corporation that owns or is in control of domestic farm animals may be responsible for impound fees, damage to property and may be charged, in accordance with By-law 42-87.

To report domestic farm animals trespassing or at large, please contact the Clerks Division at 905-878-7252 ext. 2137.