Sewer and Water Damage

Water and sewer backups are usually caused from a plug in a line or a line that requires maintenance work. Flooding and backups can also occur during unusually heavy rainfall levels, especially during the spring when there is also water accumulating from melting snow. There are a number of steps that you can take to help prevent weather-related sewage backups. For further information see Flooding Solutions.

If you are experiencing a backup, there is a possibility that the main sanitary sewer is blocked. If this is the case, the Region of Halton will need to clear the main sewer. If the main sewer is clear, the Region of Halton representative may advise you to rod your drain. You may want to hire a drainage contractor to do this work for you.

What to Do During Sewer and Water Backup

  1. Contact the Halton Region by calling 905-825-6000 and report your sewer backup. If there is any chance of electrical circuits causing a hazard, call Milton Hydro at 905-876-4611.
  2. In most situations, water damage can be minimized* by promptly taking the following steps:

    1. Remove items of value that are in, or near, the source of water
    2. Roll back or remove rugs close to the source of water
    3. Use old rags or wet vacuums to eliminate excess water
    4. Fans and/or dehumidifiers can reduce dampness and speed drying
    5. If weather permits, open basement windows to circulate air - in addition to speeding the drying process this helps to prevent odours
    6. If the source of the problem is a leaking water meter:

      • Turn off the valve in front of the meter
      • Place rags or pails beneath the meter to catch the drips, or, if the valve is spraying water, wrap towels around the leaking spot

*If there is serious damage, we suggest that you:

  1. Make a written list of all property that is damaged - you may find this Inventory sheet helpful. Note the property is permanently damaged, i.e., won't be usable after being properly dried
  2. Take photographs to document the water spread and the wet property
  3. Advise your insurance agent or broker promptly
  4. If your insurance company believes the Town of Milton is responsible for your property damage it will make a claim for costs (including your deductible). For more information see Making a Claim.

It is important that you make attempts to reduce the amount of damage to your property. Your insurance company may not be responsible for the cost of repair or replacement of property if you did not take reasonable measures to protect it.

Basement Flood Prevention Subsidy Program

Halton Region is now offering a one-time Basement Flood Prevention Subsidy, up to a maximum of $2725.00, to assist Halton residents who would like to correct improper storm water connections and install a backwater valve.

For more information regarding this program visit Halton Region.