COVID-19 Service Interruptions: Learn about changes to the development review process in the Development Applications section of our COVID-19 web page. 

Explore our development applications map to locate all current development applications. You can also find detailed information for each development application by ward.

You need to complete a development application for all new developments in Milton. This includes developing new subdivisions and condominiums. All new developments must align with Milton’s Official Plan and zoning regulations.

Pre-consultation meetings

A pre-consultation meeting is required prior to the acceptance of a planning application for:

  • Official Plan Amendment
  • Zoning By-law Amendment
  • Plan of Condominium
  • Plan of Subdivision or Vacant Land Condominium
  • Land Severances (consent)

The purpose of this meeting is to identify those studies/reports required to begin the development application process as well as to obtain and provide information required to better process the application.  

Pre-consultation meetings are held bi-weekly on Tuesday mornings and are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis at the earliest available date.  There is no fee associated with booking.  A minimum review period of 15 days is required for application types.  While we strive to process applications in a timely manner, high volumes of applications may result in delays to the meeting schedule.

To book a pre-consultation meeting, please email the Development Review Team. Once we receive your request, we will provide you with submission requirements.

Zoning and land use applications

Your proposed development may not follow our zoning and land use regulations. Learn how to apply and follow our application guidelines for the following land use amendments:

Division of land applications

Some new development proposals will require some form of land or property division.


A subdivision of a property occurs when you divide a piece of land into two or more lots in order to sell them. Complete a Plan of Subdivision Application and submit it with all accompanying documents during your submission meeting. Review the subdivision guidelines to learn more about the development process.

For a copy of Subdivision Application and Guidelines, please contact Development Planning.


Below is the Town's 2021 Fee Schedule:  

Town of Milton Fee
Application Base Fee plus per unit fee $47,866.00

Units 0-25 Fee:

Units 26-100:

Units 100+

Per square metre of gfa





Subsequent D.P.A. Review (Phasing) $28,817.00

Minor Revision

Major Revision

15% of current application fee

50% of current application fee

Request for Extension to Draft Plan Approval:

Annual One (1) Year within 25 days prior to expiry

Emergency 3-month Extension within 15 days of expiry




*Advertising Administrative Fee:


*All planning applications that require a statutory public meeting will be required to pay a one-time administrative fee with the application fees along with the actual cost of the publication of the Public Notice is the local newspaper.  The cost will be invoiced to applicants after publication 

Halton Region Fee
Application Fee  $10,608.36

Minor Revision

Major Revision



Phased Draft Approval Fee $10,451.00

Phased Revision Requiring Circulation

Sub-Phasing Requiring Circulation



Request for Extension to Draft Plan Approval:

Annual One (1) Year *within 25 days prior to expiry

Emergency 3-month Extension *within 15 days of expiry




Conservation Halton Fee
Application Base Fee plus per unit fee and hectare $7,086.00

Units 0-25 Fee:

Units 26-100:

Units 100-200

Units 200+





Per Net Hectare

< 2 ha

> 2 ha but < 5 ha

> 5 ha but < 10 ha

> 10 ha

Clearances per phase (tech review required)

Clearances per phase (no tech review required)








Minor Revision

Major Revision




If you want to develop a new condominium or convert a building into a condominium property, you need to complete a Plan of Condominium Application. Submit your application and all necessary documents during your submission meeting. Review the condominium guidelines to learn more about the development process.



Town of Milton Fee
Vacant Land Condominium Fee plus per unit fee $47,866.00

Units 0-25 Fee:

Units 26-100:

Units 100+

Per square metre of gfa





Subsequent D.P.A. Review (Phasing) $28,817.00

Minor Revision

Major Revision

15% of current application fee

50% of current application fee

Condominium Review with related site plan

Condominium Conversion/Exemption




Halton Region Fee
Application Base Fee $3,065.00

Revision Fee


Vacant Land or Common Element $451.16

Condominium Conversion

Condominium Exemption



Request for Extension to Draft Plan Approval:

Annual One (1) Year or Emergency 3 month Extension



Part lot control

According to the Planning Act, part lot control allows a property owner to sell a whole lot or block within a registered plan of subdivision. Complete the Exemption from Part Lot Control Application and submit it with all necessary documents.  Review our Part Lot Control Guidelines and Submission Deadlines before submitting your application.

You’ll need to get a Part Lot Control Exemption for the following applications:

  • Creation of townhouse lots
  • Creation of semi-detached lots
  • Lot realignments within non-residential plans for subdivision
  • Mechanical severances, such as additions to lots, easements and land dedications
  • Adjacent lands with plans of subdivision

Submission dates for part lot control applications

Deposited reference plans are a submission requirement.  However, in a case where a draft version(s) has been provided, the Development Services Department cannot guarantee the exemption by-law will proceed to the requested Council Meeting. Deposited reference plans should be submitted as soon as possible after application submission.  Failure to submit, will defer your application to a subsequent Council meeting.

Submission Date Council Meeting Date
Monday, November 23, 2020 Monday, January 18, 2021
Monday, December 14, 2020 Monday, February 8, 2021
Monday, January 11, 2021 Monday, March 1, 2021
Monday, February 1, 2021 Monday, March 22, 2021
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Monday, April 12, 2021
Monday, March 8, 2021 Monday, May 3, 2021
Tuesday, April 6, 2021 Monday, May 31, 2021
Monday, April 26, 2021  Monday, June 21, 2021
Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Monday, July 19, 2021
Monday, June 28, 2021 Monday, August 23, 2021
Monday, July 19, 2021 Monday, September 13, 2021
Monday, August 9, 2021 Monday, October 4, 2021
Monday, August 30, 2021 Monday, October 25, 2021
Monday, September 20, 2021 Monday, November 15, 2021
Monday, October 18, 2021 Monday, December 13, 2021
Monday, November 15, 2021 Monday, January 17, 2022

Guidelines and fees

Under Section 50(5) of the Planning Act R.S.O. 1990, c.P.13, as amended

What is part lot control?

Part Lot Control is a provision of the Planning Act that prevents the further division of individual lots or blocks within a registered plan of subdivision, without additional approval.  The Planning Act does allow, however, a municipal Council to remove part lot control from a parcel of land under certain appropriate circumstances.  An application for exemption from part lot control can only be made if the subject property is a lot or block within a registered plan of subdivision.  Please check with the Development Services Department to specifically determine whether a proposal meets the prerequisites for the removal of part lot control.   Examples may include:  minor changes to the lot pattern created through a registered plan of subdivision; division of large blocks within industrial plans of subdivision for individual end-users; and/or creation of individual lots for semi-detached and street townhouse dwelling units.

Submission Requirements:

  • Electronic copies of all requested documents are now required at submission.  Digital files must be in .pdf format and generated directly from the software used to create them (AutoCAD, Softplan, Revit, etc.) using a PDF printer or converter (no scanned copies).  All .pdf files must have the document properties/restrictions/ security settings/permissions set to allow, “Printing” and “Adding Markups” so Town staff can apply redline notes and approval stamps to the documents.  No zip files or folders on electronic devices.
  • Completed Application form, including Owner’s Authorization (if required) (Owner name(s) shown on the application form must be identical to the Owner name(s) registered on title.)
  • Six (6) full-size copies and one (1) reduction of each deposited reference plan(s) prepared by an O.L.S. in metric showing:

        □  all dimensions of subject lands                         □  proposed lotting arrangements

        □  access and/or maintenance easements             □  existing building foundation(s)

  • Each print must be certified by an O.L.S. to confirm that final as-built ties to building foundations have been shown. 
  • If draft plans are submitted initially, the Applicant must provide five (5) full-size copies of each deposited plan at least forty-five (45) days prior to the scheduled Council adoption date or the by-law will be deferred to a subsequent Council meeting. 
  • One (1) original copy of Lot Area, Lot Frontage and Lot Coverage Calculations, certified by an O.L.S.
  • One (1) original copy of the Land Use Schedule of proposed parts identified on reference plan(s) indicating proposed land use and dwelling unit type for each part or parts.
  • One (1) original copy of the Engineers Certification Letter (P.Eng. signature and seal required).  The certification shall include a brief description of existing and/or proposed municipal services, no conflicts exist and confirm that the location(s) of all service utility connections is/are acceptable relative to the proposed lot lines.

Fees and financial requirements:

  • In order for an application to be considered complete for processing, all required fees must be included with your application and must be submitted on two (2) separate cheques as the Town of Milton collects application fees on behalf of the Region of Halton in addition to its own fees.  Town of Milton fees applicable include a base fee, plus a per unit fee plus a by-law registration fee. Town fees are reviewed annually.  2021 Fees are exempt from HST and are made payable as follows:
Town of Milton Fee
Application Base Fee $1,489.00
Per Unit Fee: $107.00
By-law Registration Fee $340.00
Extension By-law Fee: $1,092.00
Application Fee $581.07
  •  The fee covers one part lot control by-law per application submitted. In cases where Town staff considers that an additional by-law(s) is required to deal with certain lots/blocks, a supplementary fee will be payable per by-law.
  • The Town’s fees include the cost of registration of one (1) Part Lot Control Exemption By-law.  If difficulty is encountered in registering the by-law as a result of information provided by the Application, the Applicant will be responsible for any additional costs incurred by the Town.  If issues arise requiring Conservation Authority review, additional fees may apply.

Important information for the applicant:

Processing of an application will commence when all necessary supporting documentation and plans have been submitted together with the required application fees.  Incomplete submissions will be returned to the applicant.

It is the Applicant’s responsibility to ensure that building permits have been issued and applicable development charges are paid, prior to the processing of an application for exemption from part lot control.  If the application does not conform to the Town of Milton’s Zoning by-law, a rezoning or minor variance application must be submitted, approved and finalized prior to Council enacting the exempting part lot control by-law.

Part Lot Control By-laws are approved for a term of one (1) year and automatically expire after that timeframe.  Please ensure that all land transfers occur within the one (1) year of the enactment of the part lot control exemption by-law.  Follow-up with respect to extensions or renewals are the responsibility and cost of the Applicant. 

For inquiries please contact the Development Services Department at 905-878-7252, ext. 2398 or via email.

Land severance

Land severance is an alternative to a plan of subdivision for less complex projects. This includes dividing a property into one or two lots. Complete a Lot Severance/Consent Application and submit it with all necessary documents during your submission meeting.

Review go to our Land Severance Page to learn more about the application and development process.

Telecommunications facilities

If you’re planning to construct a telecommunications tower, antenna or other facility, you need to apply through the Government of Canada. The Town of Milton has a telecommunications facility protocol and we will review local telecommunications proposals. Please submit a telecommunications application form prior to constructing a telecommunications facility in Milton.