COVID-19 Update: The Town of Milton has joined the Region of Halton and the Province of Ontario and has declared a State of Emergency. At this time, we are unable to move forward with Committee of Adjustment & Consent Hearings, but are investigating options in order to potentially do so. Currently, staff will continue to accept, process and review the minor variance application but are unable to proceed to a meeting which in turn would result in a delay in a final decision being rendered by the Committee and ultimately affect the ability to obtain an associated building permit.  Notwithstanding, your application will be held in queue based on the date the application is received until such time as the Town can proceed to a Hearing.

Please contact the Committee Secretary to discuss how to make a minor variance and/or consent application during this time.  

If your project requires a small change to Milton’s Zoning By-laws, you can apply for a minor variance.

Applying for a minor variance

Before you submit  your application, it is strongly recommended that your consult with staff to discuss the merits of your proposal, confirm variances that may be required and identify any documentation needed in support of the application. 

You must complete an Application for a Minor Variance before the Committee of Adjustment and Consent can accept your application. Make sure to include all fees when you apply. Please see our Minor Variance Application Guidelines for application fees and more information.

After we receive agency and public comments regarding your application, we hold a public hearing where a decision is made. You can appeal a decision after the hearing.

For the Committee of Adjustment and Consent to approve your application, it must:

Applying for consent

You must send us a completed Application for Consent before severing a new lot from an existing lot, adding land to an existing lot, easements, mortgages or leases in excess of 21 years. Please see our Consent Guidelines for application fees and more information. 

When is rezoning required?

If you’re requesting a major change to a by-law standard or a use that is not permitted, applying for rezoning may be required.

Please note

A minor variance does not change a Zoning By-law. It excuses the property owner from a requirement of the by-law.