The Town of Milton strives to be accessible in all communications to ensure materials are available for all members of the public. To receive a copy of any of the documents listed below, please contact us and let us know if you require the document in an accessible format.

The Ontario Ombudsman is an objective office of last resort for members of the public looking to bring forward an unresolved complaint. Acting independent of Town Council, the Ontario Ombudsman will receive, review and investigate complaints, provide periodic updates and produce an annual report of activities.

File a complaint

Visit the Ontario Ombudsman to learn how to file a complaint. You can only bring a complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman that fits within their mandate and if you have tried all other options.


Review the Ontario Ombudsman’s annual reports for the Town of Milton:

View the following complaint reports from the Ontario Ombudsman:

Ombudsman’s mandate

The Ontario Ombudsman can hear complaints:

  • About decisions made by Milton that are not within their legal powers to make
  • Where Milton has not followed the appropriate procedures in reaching a decision
  • Where Milton has acted in a way that is contrary to the Town Rules, Procedures or By-laws
  • Where Milton has failed to take a certain action that is required to take under its rules, procedures and By-laws
  • Any decision or recommendation made, or act done or omitted, in the course of the administration of the Town, provided that it doesn’t fall under the list of matters that are not within our mandate to investigate

The following are not included in the Ontario Ombudsman’s mandate:

  • Any Town decision, recommendation, act or omission, in respect of which there is a right of appeal or objection to any court or tribunal, until that right of appeal or objection has been exercised, or the time for exercise of that right has expired
  • Cases where the complainant has not taken their complaint to the Town first
  • Decisions, recommendations, acts or omissions of a legal advisor or counsel to the Town
  • Complaints regarding policing, the conduct of Councillors, and closed meetings of Council
  • Complaints where the subject matter is deemed to be trivial, frivolous, vexatious or not made in good faith
  • Cases where more than one year has elapsed since the complainant learned the facts on which the complaint is based, unless special circumstances exist