Animal Control By-law

The Town of Milton enforces the Animal Control By-law to regulate licensing and identification of domestic animals. 

This includes: 

  • Investigating by-law infractions
  • Patrolling for dogs running at large
  • Picking up confined stray cats and dogs or cats and dogs hit by vehicles
  • Barking dogs
  • Enforcing dog licensing requirements
  • Leash requirements 

For animal welfare concerns, please contact 1-833-9ANIMAL (1-833-926-4625).

Lost and found pets

If your pet goes missing or you find a stray pet, you can contact DocuPet to make a report. 

You can also contact the The City of Burlington Animal Service.

Wildlife services

If you see sick or injured wildlife on public property and would like to report it, please contact 905-878-7252 ext. 2254 or submit a request online.

The Town’s wildlife services include response to wildlife in distress and wildlife assistance service requests on private property.

These services will be provided by the Town’s animal services officers who respond after a request has been made and the associated user fee ($50) is paid.

Submit a Request for Wildlife Services

Requests received outside of regular business hours will be addressed the following business day. The responding officers will continue to make public safety concerns a level one priority response.

After hours: For animal related emergencies after hours such as an injured domestic animal or an injured animal found at large (wandering) please call 1-855-802-7561.


Coyotes are usually wary of humans and avoid people whenever possible, however, they are wild animals and we should avoid contact. Most negative coyote interactions are preventable. 

Learn More About Coexisting with Coyotes


With its variety of land uses, it is common to find rats and mice in Milton. Property owners are responsible for dealing with mice or rat issues and ensuring they comply with the Town by-laws and standards. 

Rodent prevention

Whether you own or rent property in Milton, you can play a proactive role in rodent prevention by: 

  • Securing garbage or organic compost in containers with tight-fitting lids
  • Not leaving food scraps out or around your yard
  • Rodent-proofing your home by blocking or covering gaps, cracks, vents and soffits
  • Removing nesting sites in unused clutter around your house and garage
  • Cutting tall grass and weeds from the back of your house

For more rodent prevention tips and ways to manage rodent issues, please visit Halton Region’s website.

When to contact the Municipal By-law Enforcement Unit

If you think that the rodent issue may be related to surrounding yard conditions, you can report your concern to our Municipal By-law Enforcement Unit.

A by-law enforcement officer will investigate complaints under applicable Town by-laws and charges may be laid.