COVID-19 service interruptions: To learn about how COVID-19 has impacted organized events visit the Events web page.

The Town of Milton’s priority is the health and safety of our community and staff.

On February 16, 2021, the Town of Milton entered the red-control zone in the Government of Ontario's COVID-19 Response Framework. These zones include specific public health guidelines that Milton will follow. For information on how to protect yourself and others, visit Halton Region Public Health's COVID-19 website. 

Due to the pandemic and continued uncertainty, applications are being accepted, however staff are not able to approve until (thirty) 30 days in advance of the event date in accordance with the gathering-size restrictions, public health and government authority requirements. If thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date, the event is unable to comply with restrictions, permits will not be issued.


Event application

Please use our Event Application Form to help ensure that your next event is compliant and safe for everyone.

Event Application Form

After we receive your application, we’ll contact you to go over the next steps, assess insurance requirements, and which permits and licences apply.

Event deadlines

Depending on the size of your event, it may need Council and/or committee approval. To ensure that you’re considered, make sure to apply before our submission deadlines.

Submission deadlines
Event date Submission deadline Committee meeting
January to April 45 days prior to event date (as a result of COVID-19) Third week of November* 
May to August 45 days prior to event date (as a result of COVID-19) Third week of March*
September to December First Friday of July (subject to change pending COVID-19) Third week of July*

*Committee meetings are subject to change.

Event requirements

We’ll guide you through all municipal, regional, provincial and federal requirements.

Municipal licences and permits

We regulate licensing for health and safety, noise, nuisance control and consumer protection. We assess the required permits and licences through the Event Application Form including:


We assess insurance requirements through the Event Application Form. We’ll determine your proposed event’s potential risks and recommend ways to eliminate or control those risks. 

Lottery Licence

If you’re running or managing a lottery or a game of chance for charitable or religious purposes at your event, you’ll need to apply for a lottery licence.

Facility rentals

Learn how to rent a facility and our space allocation guidelines and policies, and deadlines.

Building Permits

You’ll need to apply for building permit for the setup of any tents, bleachers, and stages. Please note that we need at least four weeks to review building permits.


Signage is limited to private property. You can request to use signage on a Milton road allowance when you complete our online event application form. You can also rent exterior and digital signage at a Milton facility.


If you’re using or selling fireworks, you’ll need to apply for a Fireworks Permit. Please note that we require at least four weeks for review and approval.

Road closures

You can request road closures as part of the online Event Application form. You can also request a road closure for a street party. Road closures may require the use of barricades, jersey barriers or large blockades for vehicle mitigation.


You must apply for a Filming Permit if you’d like to use a Milton property for an approved filming project. Make sure that you submit your application at least seven business days before you start filming.

Health and safety requirements

Depending on your event, you may need to meet health and safety authority requirements.


Selling or serving alcohol at your event? Make sure to apply for Special Occasion Permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Please note that the AGCO requires at least eight weeks to review your request.

Electrical equipment and generators

Larger events that include electrical equipment and generators need an Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) electrical permit and an inspection. Please note that you must apply for an ESA permit at least 6 weeks before your event.

Food and waste

If foods are prepared, sold or distributed at your event, you’ll need to apply for approval from the Halton Public Health Department. Halton Region also provides waste collection support for community events.

Niagara escarpment

You can use Niagara Escarpment Commission's interactive map to find out if your event is on property that’s regulated. You may need to apply for a Development Permit.

Paramedic services

Halton Region's Paramedic Services can provide emergency medical services for events in our community. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review and approve your request.

Police services

You can book a pay duty officer from Halton Regional Police Service to have them help and supervise your event. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review your request.

Additional event planning resources