An updated Site Alteration By-law was approved by Milton Council on Sept. 12, 2022. The updated by-law is effective Jan. 1, 2023.

If you are planning to change the elevation of your property in any way, you may need a site alteration permit prior to construction to ensure that you, your neighbours, and the environment are not negatively impacted.

Application process

A complete application is required in order for the Town to begin the review process. An application is considered completed when the following has been received:

  1. Complete and signed application form
  2. Control plan
  3. Application fees

Complete applications can be submitted using our contact form. For more information about the site alteration permit application requirements, see Section 4 of the Site Alteration By-law.


An applicant or property owner may request a pre-consultation meeting to determine if a permit is required and if a permit can be issued, pursuant to the by-law. To request, a pre-consultation meeting, fill out the contact form.

Frequently asked questions

When is a site alteration permit required?

If you are planning to change the elevation of your property in any way, a site alteration permit may be required. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Importing or removing fill
  • Altering the existing drainage pattern
  • Leveling areas
  • Creating privacy berms
  • Creating or expanding parking lots

Do I need a site alteration permit for landscaping?

This depends on the scope of work and where it will take place on your property. If you’re working within existing garden beds, and work is at least 0.6m away from any property line, it is unlikely that a permit would be required. Please contact us before starting any work to confirm if a permit is required.

What is a control plan?

Your control plan must be certified by a professional engineer and include:

  • Drawing scale of 1:500 or 1:1000
  • Key map showing the site location
  • Site boundaries and hectares
  • Use of the site and use and location of the buildings or other structures existing or proposed
  • Location of lakes, streams, wetlands, channels, ditches, other watercourses and bodies of water – both on the site and within 30m beyond the site boundary
  • Regional storm flood plain and conservation authority fill regulation lines
  • Location of predominant soil types, the species and size in caliper of all trees, and the location of all shrubs
  • Driveways on the lands and all easements and right-of-way over, under, across, or through the site
  • Location and dimension of existing and proposed storm water drainage systems and natural drainage patterns on the site and within 30m of site boundaries
  • Location and dimension of utilities, structures, roads, highways, and paving
  • Existing site topography at a contour internal, not to exceed one metre and to extend a minimum of 30m beyond the site boundaries
  • Proposed grade and drainage system to be used upon completion of the work
  • Location of dimensions of all proposed work
  • Location and dimensions of all proposed top soil or fill stockpiles
  • Location, dimensions, and design details of all erosion and sediment control measures

How long does it take to get a site alteration permit?

The Town required a minimum of 15 business days once a complete application has been submitted for initial review. Town staff will contact you with additional information once they have reviewed your submission. In general, please allow up to 30 business days for a permit to be issued.

How much does a site alteration permit cost?

Every site alteration permit application is subject to the $367 application fee prior to the application being reviewing by Town staff. Once reviewed, all approved applications are subject to a $316 per hectare fee at the time of issuance (minimum one hectare is applied), as well as a $191 inspection feedeemed necessary by Town staff. All fees align with the Town of Milton’s User Fee By-law.

How do I report a site alteration concern?

Concern can be submitted online or by phone at 905-878-7252 ext. 2137.