COVID-19 Service Interruptions: Learn about changes to the development review process in the Development Applications section of our COVID-19 web page. 

xplore our development applications map to locate all current development applications. You can also find detailed information for each development application by ward.

You need to complete a development application for all new developments in Milton. This includes developing new subdivisions and condominiums. All new developments must align with Milton’s Official Plan and zoning regulations.

Zoning and land use applications

Your proposed development may not follow our zoning and land use regulations. Learn how to apply and follow our application guidelines for the following land use amendments:

Book a pre-consultation meeting

Before completing an application, you must attend a pre-consultation meeting with our staff. To book a pre-consultation meeting, please call us at 905-878-7252 x2215. We will confirm all application requirements and help provide initial comments on your proposed development.

After you attend the pre-consultation meeting, you can submit your application. Make sure to include a site plan with all development applications.

Division of land applications

Some new development proposals will require some form of land or property division.

A subdivision of a property occurs when you divide a piece of land into two or more lots in order to sell them. Complete a Plan of Subdivision Application and submit it with all accompanying documents during your submission meeting.
Review the subdivision guidelines to learn more about the development process.
 Guidelines and Fees
 Currently under construction.  Check back later.


If you want to develop a new condominium or convert a building into a condominium property, you need to complete a Plan of Condominium Application. Submit your application and all necessary documents during your submission meeting. Review the condominium guidelines to learn more about the development process.
 Guidelines and Fees
 Currently under construction, check back later.


 Part Lot Control

According to the Planning Act, part lot control allows a property owner to sell a whole lot or block within a registered plan of subdivision. Complete the Exemption from Part Lot Control Application and submit it with all necessary documents.  Review our Part Lot Control Guidelines and Submission Deadlines before submitting your application.

You’ll need to get a Part Lot Control Exemption for the following applications:

  • Creation of townhouse lots
  • Creation of semi-detached lots
  • Lot realignments within non-residential plans for subdivision
  • Mechanical severances, such as additions to lots, easements and land dedications
  • Adjacent lands with plans of subdivision
 Submission Dates for Part Lot Control Applications

Deposited reference plans are a submission requirement.  However, in a case where a draft version(s) has been provided, the applicant must submit the deposited plans(s) to the Development Services Department at least thirty (30) days prior to the Council Meeting Date.  If this timeframe is not met, the by-law will be deferred to a sequent Council meeting.


Submission Date Council Meeting Date
Monday, November 23, 2020 Monday, January 18, 2021
Monday, December 14, 2020 Monday, February 8, 2021
Monday, January 11, 2021 Monday, March 1, 2021
Monday, February 1, 2021 Monday, March 22, 2021
Monday, February 22, 2021 Monday, April 12, 2021
Monday, March 15, 2021 Monday, May 3, 2021
Monday, April 12, 2021 Monday, May 31, 2021
Monday, May 3, 2021  Monday, June 21, 2021
Monday, May 31, 2021 Monday, July 19, 2021
Monday, July 5, 2021 Monday, August 23, 2021
Monday, July 28, 2021 Monday, September 13, 2021
Monday, August 16, 2021 Monday, October 4, 2021
Monday, August 30, 2021 Monday, October 25, 2021
Monday, September 20, 2021 Monday, November 15, 2021
Monday, October 18, 2021 Monday, December 13, 2021


 Guidelines and Fees
Under Section 50(5) of the Planning Act R.S.O. 1990, c.P.13, as amended
What is Part Lot Control?

Part Lot Control is a provision of the Planning Act that prevents the further division of individual lots or blocks within a registered plan of subdivision, without additional approval.  The Planning Act does allow, however, a municipal Council to remove part lot control from a parcel of land under certain appropriate circumstances.  An application for exemption from part lot control can only be made if the subject property is a lot or block within a registered plan of subdivision.  Please check with the Planning and Development Department to specifically determine whether a proposal meets the prerequisites for the removal of part lot control.   Examples may include:  minor changes to the lot pattern created through a registered plan of subdivision; division of large blocks within industrial plans of subdivision for individual end-users; and/or creation of individual lots for semi-detached and street townhouse dwelling units.

Submission Requirements:

  • Electronic copies of all requested documents are now required at submission.  Digital files must be in .pdf format and generated directly from the software used to create them (AutoCAD, Softplan, Revit, etc.) using a PDF printer or converter (no scanned copies).  All .pdf files must have the document properties/restrictions/ security settings/permissions set to allow, “Printing” and “Adding Markups” so Town staff can apply redline notes and approval stamps to the documents.  No zip files or folders on electronic devices.
  • Completed Application form, including Owner’s Authorization (if required) (Owner name(s) shown on the application form must be identical to the Owner name(s) registered on title.)
  • Six (6) full-size copies and one (1) reduction of each deposited reference plan(s) prepared by an O.L.S. in metric showing:

        □  all dimensions of subject lands                         □  proposed lotting arrangements

        □  access and/or maintenance easements             □  existing building foundation(s)

  • Each print must be certified by an O.L.S. to confirm that final as-built ties to building foundations have been shown. 
  • If draft plans are submitted initially, the Applicant must provide five (5) full-size copies of each deposited plan at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled Council adoption date. 
  • One (1) original copy of Lot Area, Lot Frontage and Lot Coverage Calculations, certified by an O.L.S.
  • One (1) original copy of the Land Use Schedule of proposed parts identified on reference plan(s) indicating proposed land use and dwelling unit type for each part or parts.
  • One (1) original copy of the Engineers Certification Letter (P.Eng. signature and seal required).  The certification shall include a brief description of existing and/or proposed municipal services, no conflicts exist and confirm that the location(s) of all service utility connections is/are acceptable relative to the proposed lot lines.

Fees and Financial Requirements:

  • In order for an application to be considered complete for processing, all required fees must be included with your application and must be submitted on two (2) separate cheques as the Town of Milton collects application fees on behalf of the Region of Halton in addition to its own fees.  Town of Milton fees applicable include a base fee, plus a per unit fee plus a by-law registration fee. The current fee schedule (including associated application form and guidelines) is available from the Town’s web site at  Town fees are reviewed annually.  Fees are exempt from HST and are made payable as follows:


Town of Milton Fee
Application Base Fee $1,458.00
Per Unit Fee: $105.00
By-law Registration Fee $333.00
Extension By-law Fee: $1,069.00


Application Fee $569.68
  •  The fee covers one part lot control by-law per application submitted. In cases where Town staff considers that an additional by-law(s) is required to deal with certain lots/blocks, a supplementary fee will be payable per by-law.
  • The Town’s fees include the cost of registration of one (1) Part Lot Control Exemption By-law.  If difficulty is encountered in registering the by-law as a result of information provided by the Application, the Applicant will be responsible for any additional costs incurred by the Town.  If issues arise requiring Conservation Authority review, additional fees may apply.

Important Information for the Applicant:

Processing of an application will commence when all necessary supporting documentation and plans have been submitted together with the required application fees.  Incomplete submissions will be returned to the applicant.

It is the Applicant’s responsibility to ensure that building permits have been issued and applicable development charges are paid, prior to the processing of an application for exemption from part lot control.  If the application does not conform to the Town of Milton’s Zoning by-law, a rezoning or minor variance application must be submitted, approved and finalized prior to Council enacting the exempting part lot control by-law.

Part Lot Control By-laws are approved for a term of one (1) year and automatically expire after that timeframe.  Please ensure that all land transfers occur within the one (1) year of the enactment of the part lot control exemption by-law.  Follow-up with respect to extensions or renewals are the responsibility and cost of the Applicant. 

More Information:

For inquiries please contact the Planning and Development Department at 905-878-7252, ext. 2398 or via email at


Land Severance (Consent)

Land severance is an alternative to a plan of subdivision for less complex projects. This includes dividing a property into one or two lots. Complete a Lot Severance/Consent Application and submit it with all necessary documents during your submission meeting.


Review go to our Land Severance Page to learn more about the application and development process.

Telecommunications facilities

If you’re planning to construct a telecommunications tower, antenna or other facility, you need to apply through the Government of Canada. The Town of Milton has a telecommunications facility protocol and we will review local telecommunications proposals. Please submit a telecommunications application form prior to constructing a telecommunications facility in Milton.