Planning your wedding can be lots of work, but we are here to help. In the province of Ontario, you need a marriage licence in order to get married. Marriage licences are valid for 90 days from the date the licence is issued. We can help you get a marriage licence before your special day.

Apply for a marriage licence

Soon-to-be newlyweds will need to fill out the online marriage licence application form.

Contact us to book a marriage licence appointment by submitting the completed application and supporting documents.

Book a Marriage Licence Appointment


In order to get a marriage licence, you and your partner will each need to provide two pieces of identification. One piece of ID can be a:

  • Birth certificate
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

You will also need to provide a piece of photo identification, which may include:

  • Drivers’ licence
  • Passport

All identification documents must be valid originals. If your documents are in another language, you must provide a certified translation.

Application fee

It costs $167 to apply for a marriage licence. Acceptable payment methods include:

  • Debit
  • Certified cheques
  • Money orders

Additional requirements

Review these additional eligibility requirements before you apply for a marriage licence.

Divorce documentation

If you or your partner have previously been divorced, you’ll need to provide the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce in order to get a marriage licence. These documents must be certified and obtained from the court that granted the divorce.

If you got divorced in another country, contact the office of the Registrar General.


If you’re under the age of 18, you’ll need parental consent to get a marriage licence. Contact Legislative and Legal Services for more information.

Language interpreters

If you do not read or understand spoken English, you must bring an interpreter to your appointment. Please make sure your interpreter has valid identification.