We welcome your active involvement in the community and invite you to attend Milton Council meetings. If you have an issue you’d like to speak about or present to Council, you can request a delegation.

Council meetings are live-streamed on the Town of Milton Council’s YouTube page

How to delegate to Council

  • Fill out the Delegate Request Form or leave a voicemail at 905-878-7252 ext. 0 for assistance to submit written comments or make an audio or video presentation to Council. Requests must be submitted by noon, two days before the meeting.
  • Delegates have options for how to participate in Council meeting. You can attend via Zoom, via phone, provided written comments or you can attend at meeting in-person.

If you are connected electronically (via Zoom), please review the Electronic Delegate Meeting Guide before submitting your request to delegate. Staff will be in touch upon receipt of your delegate request with further instructions.

Statutory public meetings

  • For statutory public meetings under the Planning Act, you have the option of participating in person or by phone by calling 1-866-511-0021 during the public meeting. For any inquiries regarding participation, please send us an email. Those who register during the meeting can delegate using audio but will not be able to provide visual presentations on-screen.

For information about upcoming public meetings, view our Development Applications Notices.

Delegation guidelines

If you are speaking to Council as a delegation, you need to follow a variety of guidelines. Please review the guidelines within the Procedure By-law before attending as a delegation.

Presentation materials

Please provide a copy of your presentation materials when you submit the delegation request form. If you don’t provide your materials in advance of the meeting, please bring 21 copies of your presentation materials with you to distribute at the meeting. Any written materials you provide may become public because they will be distributed to Council, staff and the media.

Speaking times

Review the following guidelines regarding speaking times:

  • You’ll receive a maximum of five (5) minutes to speak
  • If there is more than one delegation speaking on the same topic, the Presiding Officer may reduce the speaking time limit

Speaking procedures

Please follow these procedures when speaking before Council in-person:

  • You will speak at a microphone during the presentation
  • Remain at the podium following the presentation to answer questions from Council
  • You’ll return to the gallery after you answer any questions
  • Your delegation should assign one person to present the topic

When speaking before Council as a delegation, you should not:

  • Speak disrespectfully of any person
  • Use offensive words
  • Speak on any subject other than the one you provided on your request form
  • Disobey a decision of the Chair or Mayor
  • Enter into a debate with other delegations, staff or Council members

Request an agenda item

If you’d like to speak as a delegation on an item not listed on the agenda, you must include this on your delegation request form. We will review your request and let you know if we approve your delegation request.

Closed meetings

In some cases Milton’s Council, committees and boards will need to meet privately to deal with confidential matters. These closed meetings are not open to the public and are governed by the rules set out in section 239 of the Municipal Act.

Confidential matters

Examples of confidential matters include, but are not limited to:

  • Municipal lawsuits
  • Purchases of land
  • Labour relations issues

Closed meeting complaints

If you’d like to make a complaint about a meeting, or part of a meeting, that was closed to the public, you need to complete an online Closed Meeting Investigation Request form. You can also submit a complaint by email at info@agavel.com or drop it off to:

Amberley Gavel
35 Ambleside Dr.
London, ON N6G 4M3

The Closed Meeting Investigator will determine if the closed meeting complied with the Municipal Act or other applicable by-laws.