What to consider before making a claim

Any damage to your property can be upsetting and disruptive. However, it’s important to know that the Town of Milton is not your insurer. Making a third-party liability claim against the Town does not guarantee payment. A claimant must be able to establish that their damages were caused by the Town’s negligence.

Like most Canadian municipalities, the Town of Milton only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public - who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

If you have auto or property insurance, we suggest you consult your insurance company or broker first, for advice on how to deal with your loss. Your insurance coverage may be more extensive than what you can recover from the Town.

If your insurer believes the Town is responsible for your damages they may seek compensation from the Town on your behalf.

Making a claim

If you have incurred damage to your property or incurred an injury and believe the Town may be responsible, please follow the process below to send your claim to the Town for consideration. In some situations, you are required to place the Town on notice within 10 business days of the incident. We recommend that you inform the Town as soon as possible.

The Municipal Act requires that the Town receives notification in writing. To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, please complete the online claim report form.

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact Risk Services at risk@milton.ca or 905-875-5404.

Please note: Any compensation for property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the Town being found legally liable.

Document and protect against further damage

We recommend that you document all damages. This includes:

  • Making a list of all damaged items and property
  • Recording the date, time and location the damage took place
  • Taking photographs of the damage
  • Ensure to protect your property from incurring further damage

Damage to vehicles

The Town maintains its roadways in accordance with provincial guidelines. Hazards that are identified are repaired as quickly and efficiently as possible in accordance with those guidelines. Potholes, for example, are not an unusual hazard and motorists are expected to use caution and appropriate defensive driving skills when operating their vehicle.

If you damage your vehicle from a pothole, you should:

  • Contact a licensed motor vehicle mechanic
  • Stop operating your vehicle if it isn’t working properly
  • Contact your insurance provider

If your vehicle is damaged while travelling through a road construction area and the construction is being performed as part of a Town project, your claim will be forwarded to the construction contractor for an investigation and response, as they are contractually required to do so. Please submit your claim using the online claim report form.

Please note: You will be required to prove the contractor was negligent within the construction area in order to be considered for compensation.

Next steps

Once your claim is submitted, you will receive an email acknowledging your successful submission and you will then be notified within 10 business days regarding the next steps. Once all relevant facts and information have been reviewed, you will be advised of the outcome of the investigation. Any compensation in respect of a claim is contingent upon legal liability on the part of the Town. Please keep in mind that the time to investigate your claim is dependent on how complex your claim is.