Traffic safety and safe roads and sidewalks are very important to the Town of Milton. These traffic-related rules, regulations and programs encourage safe travel for everyone.

Speed limits and studies

There are different speed limits for different roads in Milton.

Unless otherwise posted, speed limits are:

  • 40 km/h in front of primary and junior schools when signs flashing
  • 50 km/h in urban areas
  • 70 km/h in rural areas

We work with the Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) to promote safe driving practices. We conduct a spot speed study in areas identified as concerns. We process the data we collect into a speed profile. We then give the results to HRPS for their information and enforcement.

Traffic signals

We use specialized technology designed to improve traffic flow on heavily travelled corridors. This technology is called Miovision TrafficLink System.

We use the Miovision TrafficLink System and information collected to ensure:

  • Performance measures are generated and monitored on demand to solve problems more efficiently
  • Traffic engineering staff can manage traffic signal issues remotely
  • Positive environmental impacts, including savings in fuel consumption and a reduction in vehicle emissions

All-way stops

All-way stops are used to control vehicle right-of-way at an intersection. They are not used to control speeds.

Many factors are considered before installing all-way stops, including:

  1. Staff must conduct a traffic study to count through-traffic and turning traffic on both the main and secondary streets (to ensure the intersection meets minimum vehicle counts)
  2. Spot speed studies may also be conducted
  3. Collision analysis of the intersection may be collected

Traffic studies are typically completed:

  • On a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, but are not done during summer months due to irregular traffic patterns
  • After almost all of construction has been completed within new subdivisions (to allow for mature traffic patterns to be stabilized)

Request a review

You can request that an intersection be reviewed for an all-way stop by calling us at 905-878-7252 x2500 or by writing to:

Town of Milton, Development Services
150 Mary St
Milton ON L9T 6Z5

Traffic calming

Milton's Traffic Calming Policy provides guidelines for traffic calming measures in residential neighbourhoods. Its purpose is to address safety concerns related to speeding and high volume traffic. Traffic calming is meant to address these issues as well as overall traffic safety in an area.

Traffic calming measures include:

  • Speed humps
  • Traffic circles
  • Curb extensions
  • Curb radius reductions
  • Raised median islands

Pedestrian crossovers

You can identify pedestrian crossovers by specific pavement markings and crossing signs.

Pedestrian crossovers are designated crossing areas where pedestrians can safely cross the road.

Vehicles must stop for the pedestrians at these areas. Failure to obey will result in a fine and 3 demerit points. Drivers need to wait until the pedestrian reaches the other curb before proceeding. This differentiates a pedestrian crossover from a regular crosswalk, where drivers don't need to wait until the pedestrian fully reaches the other side.

Pedestrian crossovers can be located at intersections, mid-block and at roundabouts.

View this video for more information on how pedestrian crossovers work:


Crossing guards

Crossing guards are placed in strategic locations to serve elementary schools. A crossing guard's job is to temporarily stop traffic to keep children safe and allow pedestrians to cross safely.

Rules for drivers

When you see a crossing guard with a sign lifted:

  • Stop for school crossing guards and their pedestrians
  • Wait until pedestrians and crossing guards are completely off the road before proceeding

Rules for pedestrians

Without a crossing guard, drivers are not required by law to stop at school crossings. Wait for the crossing guard to lift the sign before assuming traffic will stop. Follow the crossing guard's directions.

Rules for cyclists and scooter riders

As a cyclist or scooter rider approaching a crossing guard, you must walk your bike or scooter through the crossing. You cannot ride through it.

Rules at school crossings

At a school crossing location, if a crossing guard is not present, pedestrians do not have the right of way. This is not considered a pedestrian crossover. Proceed with caution and always check for drivers before crossing.

View this video for information on crossing guards and safe crossing.

Community safety zones

A community safety zone is a section of roadway or intersection where public safety is of special concern. These can also be in areas where certain traffic fines have increased. The goal is to improve road safety by encouraging drivers to stay alert and obey traffic laws. Community safety zones have signs clearly posted at the start of and throughout the zone.

Community safety zones in Milton:

  • Campbell Ave. between Guelph Line and a point 250 m east of Wheelihan Way (Campbellville)
  • Main St. at Bishop Reding High School
  • Ontario St. between a point 200 m north of Laurier Ave. and a point 50 m north of Main St.
  • Woodward Ave. between Maple Ave. and Lorne Scott Dr.
  • Wilson Ave. between a point 250 m north of Woodward Ave. and a point 200 m south of Mackenzie Dr.

Halton Regional Police Services (HRPS) programs

Halton Regional Police traffic and safety programs actively involve residents in traffic and safety education as well as reporting concerns. Visit their website for information on these programs.

To report a speeding concern, contact HRPS directly at 905-825-4747.