COVID-19 Update: On June 11, 2021, at 12:01 a.m., Milton will enter Step 1 of the province’s Roadmap to Reopen. Step 1 focuses on resuming outdoor activities with smaller crowds where the risk of transmission is lower and permitting retail with restrictions. Please see below for the latest updates as per the province's guidelines:

Weddings, funerals and religious services, rites and ceremonies

  • Outdoor religious services permitted with limit of 100 people with 2 metre physical distancing and pre-registration
  • If your wedding does not require a permit for a tent, noise exemption or road closure permit, it is not necessary to complete a special event application form


  • Maximum 10 people for outdoor gatherings and outdoor public events 
  • Indoor gatherings are not permitted
  • Outdoor permits will be available through the Facility Booking unit for groups of 10 or less with established health and safety protocols in place 

Event application

Please use our Event Application Form to help ensure that your next event is compliant and safe for everyone.

Event Application Form

After we receive your application, we’ll contact you to go over the next steps, assess insurance requirements, and which permits and licenses apply.

Event requirements

We’ll guide you through all municipal, regional, provincial and federal requirements.

Building permits 

You’ll need to apply for building permit for the setup of any tents, bleachers and stages. Please note that we need at least four weeks to review building permits. 

Facility rentals

Learn how to rent a facility and our space allocation guidelines and policies and deadlines. 


You must apply for a Filming Permit if you’d like to use a Milton property for an approved filming project. Make sure that you submit your application at least seven business days before you start filming. 


If you’re using or selling fireworks, you’ll need to apply for a Fireworks Permit. Please note that we require at least four weeks for review and approval. 


We assess insurance requirements through the Event Application Form. We’ll determine your proposed event’s potential risks and recommend ways to eliminate or control those risks. 

Lottery license

If you’re running or managing a lottery or a game of chance for charitable or religious purposes at your event, you’ll need to apply for a lottery license

Municipal licenses and permits

We regulate licensing for health and safety, noise, nuisance control and consumer protection. We assess the required permits and licenses through the Event Application Form including:

Road closures

You can request road closures as part of the online Event Application form. You can also request a road closure for a street party. Road closures may require the use of barricades, jersey barriers or large blockades for vehicle mitigation.


Signage is limited to private property. You can request to use signage on a Milton road allowance when you complete our online event application form. You can also rent exterior and digital signage at a Milton facility.


If you are planning a backyard wedding, please continue to check for updates to provincial and regional restrictions as your selected event date approaches. If your wedding does not require a permit for a tent, noise exemption or road closure permit, it is not necessary to complete a special event application form.

Health and safety requirements

Depending on your event, you may need to meet health and safety authority requirements.


Selling or serving alcohol at your event? Make sure to apply for Special Occasion Permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Please note that the AGCO requires at least eight weeks to review your request. 

Electrical equipment and generators

Larger events that include electrical equipment and generators need an Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) electrical permit and an inspection. Please note that you must apply for an ESA permit at least 6 weeks before your event. 

Food and waste 

If foods are prepared, sold or distributed at your event, you’ll need to apply for approval from the Halton Public Health Department. Halton Region also provides waste collection support for community events. 

Niagara escarpment 

You can use Niagara Escarpment Commission's interactive map to find out if your event is on property that’s regulated. You may need to apply for a Development Permit

Paramedic services 

Halton Region's Paramedic Services can provide emergency medical services for events in our community. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review and approve your request. 

Police services 

You can book a pay duty officer from Halton Regional Police Service to have them help and supervise your event. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review your request. 

Additional event planning resources

Grants and awards (Ontario)