Special events on public property

In 2019, Milton Council endorsed an Events Framework to classify events and associated supports.

A public event is considered to be: 

  • An event taking place on public property; such as parks, roadways, or at a Town-owned park or facility
  • Open to the general public, with or without, an admission fee
  • Advertised through newspaper, website, social media or site signage
  • A potential strain on emergency services response
  • Required to get the approval of a regulatory agency, e.g. Town, AGCO, Halton Region Health Department, which is outside the scope of typical operations

To get started on planning an event on public property, download our Public Events Planning Workbook.

Download Public Events Planning Workbook

Event applications

Depending on the size of your event, it may need approval from the Special Event Team. Please submit your event application according to the deadlines listed below:

Submission deadlines
Event date Submission deadline Special Event Team meeting*
January to April First Friday of November Third week of November
May to August First Friday of March Third week of March
September to December First Friday of July Third week of July

*Special Event Team meetings are subject to change.

Please use our event application form to help ensure that your next event is compliant and safe for everyone. Please ensure your event space (both Town of Milton or other private property) is tentatively booked prior to completing the event application form. Town of Milton space reservations must be made through the Facility Booking office.

Please note: Events on private property that are open to the public require a transient traders license, not a special events application form.

Event Application Form

After we receive your application, we will contact you to go over the next steps, assess insurance requirements and indicate which permits and licenses apply.

Event requirements

We will guide you through all municipal, regional, provincial and federal requirements.

Building permits 

You’ll need to apply for building permit for the setup of any tents, bleachers and stages. Please note that we need at least four weeks to review building permits. 

Facility rentals

Learn how to rent a facility and understand our space allocation guidelines and policies. 


You must apply for a filming permit if you’d like to use a Milton property for an approved filming project. Make sure that you submit your application at least seven business days before you start filming. 


If you’re using or selling fireworks, you’ll need to apply for a fireworks permit. Please note that we require at least four weeks for review and approval. 


We assess insurance requirements through the event application form. We’ll determine your proposed event’s potential risks and recommend ways to eliminate or control those risks. 

Lottery license

If you’re running or managing a lottery or a game of chance for charitable or religious purposes at your event, you’ll need to apply for a lottery license

Municipal licenses and permits

We regulate licensing for health and safety, noise, nuisance control and consumer protection. We assess the required permits and licenses through the event application form including:

Road closures

You can request road closures as part of the online Event Application form. You can also request a road closure for a street party. Road closures may require the use of barricades, jersey barriers or large blockades for vehicle mitigation.


Signage is limited to private property. You can request to use signage on a Milton road allowance when you complete our online event application form. You can also rent exterior and digital signage at a Milton facility.


If you are planning a backyard wedding, please continue to check for updates to provincial and regional restrictions as your selected event date approaches. If your wedding does not require a permit for a tent, noise exemption or road closure permit, it is not necessary to complete a special event application form.

Health and safety requirements

Depending on your event, you may need to meet health and safety authority requirements.


Selling or serving alcohol at your event? Make sure to apply for Special Occasion Permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Please note that the AGCO requires at least eight weeks to review your request. 

Electrical equipment and generators

Larger events that include electrical equipment and generators need an Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) electrical permit and an inspection. Please note that you must apply for an ESA permit at least six weeks before your event. 

Food and waste

If foods are prepared, sold or distributed at your event, you’ll need to apply for approval from the Halton Public Health Department. Halton Region also provides waste collection support for community events. 

Niagara escarpment

You can use Niagara Escarpment Commission's interactive map to find out if your event is on property that’s regulated. You may need to apply for a development permit

Paramedic services

Halton Region's Paramedic Services can provide emergency medical services for events in our community. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review and approve your request. 

Police services

You can book a pay duty officer from Halton Regional Police Service to have them help and supervise your event. Please note that they need at least eight weeks to review your request. 

Additional event planning resources